[OmniOS-discuss] IBM micron ssd

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Sat May 31 14:20:53 UTC 2014

On May 31, 2014, at 6:03 AM, Johan Kragsterman <johan.kragsterman at capvert.se> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I've seen some Micron 1.8-inch 64 GB SSD's around, that is supposed to be enterprise class. They're called Micron RealSSD P400e, and come in different sizes.
>
> IBM sells them with IBM brand for their servers.

If it's the one reviewed here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p400e-review-endurance,3199.html

It looks like any other SATA SSD.  You just plug it in like any other SATA drive and it works.

> They apparently use the Marvell 9174 SATA 6Gb/s controller and 25 nm MLC NAND, and is, according to Micron, "equipped with firmware designed for read-heavy enterprise workloads, including 28% over-provisioning and data protection via memory path error correction".
>
> So I wonder if anyone on this list has any knowledge about these drives, and if the controller is compatible with omnios?

As for the internal controller (since it's acting as a disk drive, not acting as a PCIe card), you'll have to ask how good it is.

Since it's a drive, it should just work with OmniOS (or any other illumos variant for that matter).  If it DOESN'T, that'd be interesting to know.