[OmniOS-discuss] add second storage device in KVM?

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Wed Oct 1 17:29:15 UTC 2014

Hi!

Funny, I never thought about this until now:

How do I add a second storage device in a KVM VM?

It came up now, when I installed FreeNAS 9.3 beta as a VM, and wanted to add storage pools.

I looked at my start script, and of coarse I could do some experimenting, but perhaps there are also other people on this list that want to know this too.

My script looks like this:

root at omni:~# cat /usr/bin/freenas.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash

# on omnios command is /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64

# configuration
NAME="freenas"
NUM=5
VNIC0=freenas0
HDD=/dev/zvol/rdsk/mainpool/vm/freenas/os
CD=/mainpool/nfs/iso/freenas.iso
MEM=8192

# don't change below here!

TLN=`expr 7000 + $NUM`
mac0=`dladm show-vnic -po macaddress $VNIC0`

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
-name $NAME \
-boot cd \
-enable-kvm \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:$NUM \
-smp cores=2,threads=2,sockets=1 \
-m $MEM \
-no-hpet \
-localtime \
-drive file=$HDD,if=virtio,index=0 \
-drive file=$CD,media=cdrom,if=ide,index=2 \
-net nic,vlan=0,name=net0,model=virtio,macaddr=$mac0 \
-net vnic,vlan=0,name=net0,ifname=$VNIC0,macaddr=$mac0 \
-vga std \
-cpu host \
-pidfile /mainpool/vm/freenas/pids/$NAME.pid \
-monitor telnet:localhost:$TLN,server,nowait,nodelay \
-daemonize

if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
    echo "Failed to start VM"
    exit
fi

port=`expr 5900 + $NUM`
public_nic=$(dladm show-vnic|grep vnic0|awk '{print $2}')
public_ip=$(ifconfig $public_nic|grep inet|awk '{print $2}')

echo "Started VM: $NAME"
echo "VNC available at: host IP ${public_ip} port ${port}"
echo "QEMU Monitor, do: # telnet localhost $TLN. Note: use Control ] to exit monitor before quit!
"
root at omni:~#

The nics are numbered, are the storage devices also numbered?

In linux the can "hot add" via virsh. Can't find any docs from linux that are useful for me...

Best regards from/Med vänliga hälsningar från

Johan Kragsterman

Capvert