[OmniOS-discuss] Initial review --> Changes that allow illumos-gate to (mostly) build on OmniOS

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Oct 24 01:56:30 UTC 2014

Hello folks from two lists!

I've been tweaking around with illumos-gate on OmniOS again.  And this time, I have it to where:

	* You can still build with NO NOISE on OpenIndiana - i.e. it's a NOP to OI builders.

	* You can *build* and *package* on OmniOS, but there are still 2-3 ELF runtime check hits, and some can't-help-it lint.

The "can't-help-it-lint" is because I either generate lint errors on OI due to not having lint-bypass comments, or noise on OmniOS because I DO have lint-bypass comments.  I chose to have the OmniOS people cope with the noise.

I need 8 commits (all independent of each other) to go into illumos-gate to make what I just mentioned above happen.  They are here:

	http://kebe.com/~danmcd/webrevs/for-omnios/

Some of these may have value ANYWAY for upstream, the rest are modifications that do not affect an OI build, but help an OmniOS one.  The 8 commits are:

* Some check_rtime modifications for the version of things in OmniOS
* Updates to allow buildings with openjdk7, but STILL ALLOW jdk1.6 that's on OI.
* Lose the IPP listener if so specified in your .env file, which depends on bits not in OmniOS.
* Lose the dependency on docbooks, only existing in the Shell Style Guide.
* Lose the SMF dependency on sysidtool.
* Allow linkage with more recent versions of net-snmp.
* Lint fixes that the OmniOS sunstudio12.1 lint are picky about.
* More perl fixes to work with OmniOS's alternative approach to perl support.

Additionally, there's a sample .env file that anyone who applies these fixes can use on their OmniOS build machine.  I also have a mail_msg from an OmniOS build, to demonstrate what errors are still there in the build even AFTER these changes.

I'd like both the illumos developer community and the OmniOS community to look, and share their reviews and opinions.  If you have a distro that's not OI or OmniOS, see if these mods help things work on YOUR distro.  If I can get more non-OI distros to build or mostly-build stock illumos-gate, it's better for everyone.

Thanks!