[OmniOS-discuss] [developer] Initial review --> Changes that allow illumos-gate to (mostly) build on OmniOS

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Fri Oct 24 15:56:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 09:56:30PM -0400, Dan McDonald via illumos-developer wrote:
> Hello folks from two lists!
>
> I've been tweaking around with illumos-gate on OmniOS again.  And this time, I have it to where:
>
> 	* You can still build with NO NOISE on OpenIndiana - i.e. it's a NOP to OI builders.
>
> 	* You can *build* and *package* on OmniOS, but there are still 2-3 ELF runtime check hits, and some can't-help-it lint.
>
> The "can't-help-it-lint" is because I either generate lint errors on OI due to not having lint-bypass comments, or noise on OmniOS because I DO have lint-bypass comments.  I chose to have the OmniOS people cope with the noise.
>
> I need 8 commits (all independent of each other) to go into illumos-gate to make what I just mentioned above happen.  They are here:
>
> 	http://kebe.com/~danmcd/webrevs/for-omnios/
>
> Some of these may have value ANYWAY for upstream, the rest are modifications that do not affect an OI build, but help an OmniOS one.  The 8 commits are:
>
> * Some check_rtime modifications for the version of things in OmniOS
> * Updates to allow buildings with openjdk7, but STILL ALLOW jdk1.6 that's on OI.

jdtrace/Makefile
java_api/Makefile
libdtrace_jni/java/Makefile
	you changed the -target from 1.5 to 1.6.  Is this right?  (FYI, I
	know nothing about Java.)

damain/pools/Makefile
	does removing this change the output from 1.5 to 1.6?

dnssd/Makefile
libdtrace_jni/java/Makefile
	I'm curious about the details here...  Javadoc uses different
	filenames for the generated gifs and this allows packaging to work
	since it'll see both old and new files?  Am I understanding
	correctly?  Would it make sense to document this hack in the package
	manifest as well for when someone decides that 1.6 is ancient?

A couple of the files have #pragma ident.

> * Lose the IPP listener if so specified in your .env file, which depends on bits not in OmniOS.

Makefile
	Is this the only IPP related package?  Did the change a few years
	ago that introduced ENABLE_IPP_PRINTING not change any packaging?

> * Lose the dependency on docbooks, only existing in the Shell Style Guide.

Cool!  I think this also nukes one of the sources of wsdiff noise.

> * Lose the SMF dependency on sysidtool.
> * Allow linkage with more recent versions of net-snmp.
> * Lint fixes that the OmniOS sunstudio12.1 lint are picky about.
> * More perl fixes to work with OmniOS's alternative approach to perl support.

Makefile.master
	Hrm?  Why are both -64int?  Is that right?  Ah, I see... you just
	moved it from Makefile.perl.  LGTM.

> Additionally, there's a sample .env file that anyone who applies these
> fixes can use on their OmniOS build machine.  I also have a mail_msg from
> an OmniOS build, to demonstrate what errors are still there in the build
> even AFTER these changes.
>
> I'd like both the illumos developer community and the OmniOS community to
> look, and share their reviews and opinions.  If you have a distro that's
> not OI or OmniOS, see if these mods help things work on YOUR distro.  If I
> can get more non-OI distros to build or mostly-build stock illumos-gate,
> it's better for everyone.

You said OI... did you try both /dev (151a9) as well as hipster?  Just
curious.

Jeff.

--
NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator.