[OmniOS-discuss] Issues with smb and Android

Olaf Marzocchi lists at marzocchi.net
Tue Apr 14 07:27:52 UTC 2015

Hello,
the question is a bit vague but I cannot find any solution, so I ask here.

I’m using OmniOS r151012 right now, but the issue has always been there since r151006.

I shared some datasets using the kernel smb:

> $ sharemgr show -vp
> default nfs=()
> smb smb=()
>         * /var/smb/cvol  smb=() ""
>                   c$=/var/smb/cvol       smb=(abe="false" guestok="false")      "Default Share"
> zfs smb=() nfs=()
>     zfs/tank/Temporary smb=()
>           Temporary=/tank/Temporary
>     zfs/tank/home/olaf smb=()
>           olaf=/tank/home/olaf
>     zfs/tank/home/olaf/Photos smb=()
>           olaf_photos=/tank/home/olaf/Photos

When I log in from Win 8.1 or OS X using DOMAIN\user, no problems.
When I login from Android (app tested: several, among them "File Manager HD" and "ES File Explorer”) I get a authentication error. Most of the apps repeat it indefinitely even if I try again, however with "File Manager HD” I can try a second time (no changes in the settings) and I get authenticated. Every single time, on the second attempt, it works!
I get this on the /var/adm/messages:

> smbd[636]: [ID 812811 daemon.notice] logon[OMNIOS-XEON\olaf]: WRONG_PASSWORD
> last message repeated 1 time

I don’t know why it is repeated a second time, maybe the app File Manager HD tries twice without notifying me.

I cannot understand the source of the problem: pass correct, sharing standard using zfs.

The permissions of the folders:

> drwxrws---+ 27 root     temps        156 Apr 13 20:08 Temporary
>                  owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>                  group@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>               everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:deny
> drwxrwx---+ 16 olaf     olaf          16 Apr 13 23:32 olaf
>                  owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>                  group@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>               everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:deny

I didn’t post the whole "zfs get” details of the dataset, but I will if you let me know which ones may affect the issue. My datasets were set using these instruction: http://www.marzocchi.net/Olafsen/Software/InstallationOfOmniOSAndBasicSetup (second half of the article).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Olaf