[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS data set corruption

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Tue Apr 14 10:25:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

I recently migrated from OI 151a7 to Omnios April 2015 LTS with my
backup ZFS file server. Probably because of vibration-related issues a
pool was corrupted during the first nightly backup. Several attempts to
resilver the pool ended with checksum errors in one of the raidz vdevs,
so I decided to try a recovery. The affetced files were the file that
was being written when the first error occurred, and two blocks in
pool/datasets/corrupted_dataset itself. A further salience was that
copying some files under corrupted_dataset could not be read (bad
exchange descriptor error). From other reports on that error message, I
concluded that deleting the files would not work either, so I skipped that.
Exporting pool did not work anymore (pool busy error, even with -f)
Now, when trying to destroy 'pool/datasets/corrupted_dataset', I got a
kernel panic. The same happened when trying to import -nfF the pool,
after forcing an export with the pool not mounted on reboot. So, I
decided to cut my losses and re-create all datasets from scratch,
without further analyzing the reasons.
Any ideas how I could have done better with an additional work of 2-3 h
(5.7 TB dataset)?

BR

Sebastian