[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151014: questions about locale settings and vi editing command's issues.

Davide Poletto davide.poletto at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:35:33 UTC 2015

Hi Volker,

I reset the locale via /etc/default/init so the situation is now the
initial one with locale that shows:

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

With these parameters (I suspect with the LC_CTYPE not set to it_IT.UTF-8
as I tested before) the Keyboard layout is the initial one and I've lost
the characters like "°" or "à" that worked with it_IT.UTF-8. I can live
with that...the point is still the vi editor. It's nearly impossible to use
it to edit any configuration file.

Once vi is launched I'm used to enable the INSERT mode with ESC + a and
then start editing (this happens in Linux), in this case if I press ESC + a
vi doesn't enter into INSERT mode at all and consequent keys that are
pressed are wihtout any sense for me...as example if I press the Up Key to
move up vi prints the letter "B", what is interesting is that if I press
ESC once again it switches into another mode...and pressing the "dd" will
delete the line on which the cursor is (dd delete) so there something weird
about vi and my configuration (which is the default as per OmniOS fresh
install) <- This behaviour was the same with every single OmniOS install I
did in the past (same Timezone, same Keyboard layout).

Davide.