[OmniOS-discuss] User/group with CIFS

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Sun Aug 2 17:44:27 UTC 2015

Netatalk and Solaris CIFS are incompatible regarding permissions in an
AD environment or regarding groups.

One problem hides in the + of
-rwx------+  1 olaf     olaf         469 Aug  2 17:12 scaletta2.txt

This means that there are ACLs defined.
While netatalk uses classic Unix permissions (owner/group/everyone),
Solaris CIFS works like Windows what means: It uses ACL only, uses
Windows SID in AD environments and Windows SMB groups instead of Unix
groups.

The group:2147483648 is an SMB group that is unknown to netatalk while
the group olaf is a Unix group that is unknown to Solaris CIFS.

Your options are:
1.
Avoid netatalk as it is dead and always a source of problemws. Apple
switched to  SMB so this is the future. (This is what I did). Currently
you have the Problem that Illumos lacks SMB2 and OSX is slow with SMB1.

Hope that this will come in the near future to OmniOS as it is in
NexentaStor and Solaris 11.3.
First tests on Solaris show that smb is there as fast as AFP.

2.
Avoid AD,  groups and set permissions on Windows only for users or use
id mapping
This is a workaround

3.
Use SAMBA as it rely on Unix permissions as well
(For what I use SMB, Solaris CIFS is superieur, so an option that I
would avoid)

my tip is 1.

Gea