[OmniOS-discuss] Multiple root mappings of a NFS share

Michael Talbott mtalbott at lji.org
Thu Aug 20 22:10:51 UTC 2015

Is it possible to share one directory with different root mappings to different clients? I know on my previous linux box it was easy to do but haven't found the equivalent on OmniOS.

If there were a way to have the system append to a share via the share command, I could get all the functionality I want by using separate commands like so:

#read/write. prevent root access from clients

share -F nfs -p -o root_mapping=nobody,rw=@10.0.100.0/24,root=@10.0.100.0/24 /path2share

#read-only and map all to root

share -F nfs -p -o root_mapping=root,ro=@10.0.3.180:@10.0.3.45,root=@10.0.3.180:@10.0.3.45 /path2share

But.. The second share command wipes out the first one :( So I try to combine them like so:

#combined that gives me proper rw/ro and root mapped to nobody.. but, I want the ro client root users to map to root instead of nobody

share -F nfs -p -o \
root_mapping=nobody\
,root=@10.0.100.0/24:@10.0.3.180:@10.0.3.45\
,rw=@10.0.100.0/24\
,ro=@10.0.3.180:@10.0.3.45\
  /path2share

It seems I can only have one root_mapping option and get an error if I stick another one in there hoping it'll parse in order of appearance. Is there somehow a way to have multiple root_mapping options based on the host or network for any single nfs export? Or does anyone have an idea of a workaround for this sort of situation?

Michael Talbott
Systems Administrator
La Jolla Institute