[OmniOS-discuss] Sneak modified scsi_vhci.conf in under installer ?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Thu Jan 1 19:17:04 UTC 2015

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 11:26 AM, sergei <sergei25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Richard
>
> The thing is - installer does not show those two disks in the list.

This is a different problem, not solvable by scsi_vhci.conf. I’ve not seen this.
What usually happens if scsi_vhci.conf doesn’t declare the drive as multipathed
and the multipath detection doesn’t work is you will see the drive twice in the
device tree: once per path. When multipathing is configured, you’ll see the
drive once in the device tree.

> So I can't install into the disks that are supposed to be boot disks. There only larger Seagate drives offered as install target. My guess was that installed filters disks by their device path, not letting /pci ones through ? That is why I wanted to have proper scsi_vhci before the installer. Was hoping this can be done with mdb.
>
> Re: scsi_vhci.conf - systems with 3+ years uptime now are very picky about disk replacements (model/vendor). Almost have to feed them Seagate exclusively. If I told anyone that this server won't take TOSHIBA SAS drive but will be more happy with Seagate - I doubt many people would take it seriously. And these days I see lots of TOSHIBA disks that come as replacements. Almost makes one wish for a *some* tool to add entries to vhci and make them active at runtime.

This is not my experience. scsi_vhci.conf is a nicety, not a requirement.
 — richard

--

Richard.Elling at RichardElling.com
+1-760-896-4422