[OmniOS-discuss] sudden loss of networking

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Jan 3 04:35:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 02:21:11PM +1000, Michael Mounteney wrote:

> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5017/SYS-5017C-LF.cfm
>
> It has one, which I'm saving for an ethernet card.  I suppose I could
> get mediaeval and do some casemodding, but really, I should have bought
> something bigger and more flexible but I'm stuck with it now.

Ah, I've got a similar unit that's serving as a PBX. There's a pop out
above the vga/serial ports that I think is intended for a parallel port.
You should be able to break it out and thread some SATA cables through
it? Hmm, depending on how handy you are with a dremel you might even be
able to buy one of those PCI slot cover cable bundles, unscrew the
connector from the cover plate, and attach it through one of the slots in
the parallel pop out plate without removing it from the case. Done well
enough I bet it would pass for stock ;). Send pictures if you do it :),
good luck...