[OmniOS-discuss] sudden loss of networking

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 05:14:17 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:35:34 -0800
"Paul B. Henson" <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 02:21:11PM +1000, Michael Mounteney wrote:

> Ah, I've got a similar unit that's serving as a PBX. There's a pop out
> above the vga/serial ports that I think is intended for a parallel
> port. You should be able to break it out and thread some SATA cables
> through it? Hmm, depending on how handy you are with a dremel you
> might even be able to buy one of those PCI slot cover cable bundles,
> unscrew the connector from the cover plate, and attach it through one
> of the slots in the parallel pop out plate without removing it from
> the case. Done well enough I bet it would pass for stock ;). Send
> pictures if you do it :), good luck...

Yes, I was thinking of that but the back of the server is somewhat
inaccessible and I haven't had the opportunity to investigate yet.  The
idea of spraying the interior of the server with metal fragments as I
mash out the cutout is unattractive as well, I have to say.

Thanks also to Mark who just came in with the same idea.  I think this
is the way to go.  I'm investigating the parts now.  Hardware isn't my
core skill-set so I have to obtain advice first.

Michael.