[OmniOS-discuss] sudden loss of networking

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Jan 3 05:33:49 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +1000, Michael Mounteney wrote:

> Yes, I was thinking of that but the back of the server is somewhat
> inaccessible and I haven't had the opportunity to investigate yet.  The
> idea of spraying the interior of the server with metal fragments as I
> mash out the cutout is unattractive as well, I have to say.

Granted ;). Perhaps a better plan would be to just pop out the case cover
plate (which should break away easily, as that's what it's meant to do),
and then modify the PCI cover plate away from the unit to fit the slot.
It's hard to eyeball, but I think the width of the cover plate is bigger
than the height of the parallel port breakout. You just need the one, right?
Cut the plate in half, unscrew the cable from it, hold the plate piece
in front of the cutout, and screw in the cable from behind. If you're
lucky the profile of the cable connector will be big enough to clamp the
case between the plate in front and the connector in rear. If not,
you'll need to get a bit creative and use a couple other cut off pieces
of the cover plate or the piece you broke off on the inside to hold it
together. There are also a couple of breakaway covers above the ethernet
ports that might be massaged into ESATA ports too...