[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Rolling FW upgrade on LSI 9207

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Thu Jan 22 09:39:28 UTC 2015

Hi!

-----"OmniOS-discuss" <omnios-discuss-bounces at lists.omniti.com> skrev: -----
Till: <omnios-discuss at lists.omniti.com>
Från: Stephan Budach
Sänt av: "OmniOS-discuss"
Datum: 2015-01-22 09:50
Ärende: [OmniOS-discuss] Rolling FW upgrade on LSI 9207

Hi guys,

I do have two zpools of mirrored vdevs, where each vdev is spread over two LSI 9207-8i HBAs. Is it possible to perform a round-robin FW upgrade on the LSI HBAs, without rebooting the box? I'd like to keep the zpools up while I am performing the upgrade and I thought of breaking the mirrors, performing the FW upgrade on the first 9207, re-attaching the devices and doing the same again for the other half of the zpools vdevs.

Has anyone done this before, or is a host reboot mandantory?

Stephan!

As I said before, I would NEVER put myself, and my infrastructure services, in the position where I couldn't find a maintanance window to take it down, to perform a firmware upgrade.

IMHO, there are too much that can go wrong, and if it goes wrong....well, then you're in big trouble...

If you couldn't even afford to take it down for a firmware upgrade, how would you handle a major problem with firmware or bricked HBA's? Bad things happens now and then, especially when you're not prepared for them...

Regards Johan

Thanks,
budy