[OmniOS-discuss] pkgsrc-current OmniOS 170cea2/i386 2015-07-09 21:35

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:11:05 UTC 2015

Hi Dan,

On 13 July 2015 at 05:51, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
> <Mucho snippage deleted!>
>
> I also saw you mention this indirectly on twitter.
>
> Generally, the OmniOS release should mention which release.  170cea2 is r151014.  It's good to mention that alongside the uname as that's how most of us lock in on a release.

This was only recently implemented at pkgsrcCon and pending review so
it's not something that's in the pkgsrc tree yet, previously it was
just marked as Solaris 11 and I was manually adding illumos version
info manually which was clumsy. It can be changed, not a problem.
Where can I get the release number (the r151014) from the system? (I'm
currently unable to reach the OmniOS zone I'm using to check for
myself)

> Is there anything we can fix to help these move along?

I'd like to propose a fix for the gettext issue but I've not been able
to get very far with the buildctl tool in omnios-build. It appears to
be incapable of generating a repo or utilising a pre-prepared repo for
me (I used  a different path for the location of my repo if that makes
any difference).
I wanted to evaluate the solution proposed previously in this thread
that is to rebuild gettext with -rpath specified which includes the
lib directory of the GCC with building with so that libgomp can be
found.
Happy to get a pull request in for the change necessary once I've
worked out what's needed.

> Also, you ARE aware that pkgsrc's Jonathan Perkin works for Joyent, and does work to make sure pkgsrc bits build on all illumos distros, right?

Yes I'm aware that Jonathan Perkin works for Joyent on pkgsrc which
runs on SmartOS and should in theory work on the other illumos distros
provided the other distros are in sync with the changes Joyent made to
the source. :)
The gettext issue is not present in SmartOS and is specific to OmniOS.
Building specifically on the various distros is of benefit to pkgsrc
because it builds against another version of toolchain on each distro.
One of the proposed solutions has been to ignore everything & rebuild
from scratch using components in pkgsrc. - This would cause a
substantial delay in bootstrap time get everything built.
Another proposal was to patch pkgsrc so that gettext bundled is
ignored and replaced with the version in pkgsrc - theres an effort to
generate a patch for that.

I personally would rather get the gettext fixed upstream (in OmniOS)
and there doesn't need any work around in the pkgsrc tree or having to
recreate the user land components to work around a single component.

Sevan / Venture37