[OmniOS-discuss] Failsafe boot

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Mon Jun 1 06:19:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

on Friday I ran into a "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure". To
recover from this, I needed a failsafe environment. I ended up in using
Firefly 0215, which worked fine for rebuilding all BEs like described
here
http://honglinsu.blogspot.co.at/2010/08/fix-solaris-10-zfs-error-16.html, but
there are several concerns beyond taking a bit too much time to sort out
this problem.

1. I understood from some previous request on omniti.com that there is
no failsafe environment for Omnios.
2. The situation made it clear to me that a failsafe environment is a
required tool to maintain an Illumos installation. With the above
finding assumed correct, we depend on a separate distro project to keep
pace - outdated Firefly images may be useless in the best case.
3. Are there alternatives, i.e. to make a failsafe environment for the
specific machine, in case of doubt including additional drivers, on
current ZFS versions, etc, as a sysadmin?

BR,

Sebastian