[OmniOS-discuss] Failsafe boot

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jun 1 09:54:09 UTC 2015

1 июня 2015 г. 8:19:33 CEST, Sebastian Gabler <sequoiamobil at gmx.net> пишет:
>Hi,
>
>on Friday I ran into a "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure".
>recover from this, I needed a failsafe environment. I ended up in using
>
>Firefly 0215, which worked fine for rebuilding all BEs like described
>here
>http://honglinsu.blogspot.co.at/2010/08/fix-solaris-10-zfs-error-16.html,
>but
>there are several concerns beyond taking a bit too much time to sort
>out
>this problem.
>
>1. I understood from some previous request on omniti.com that there is
>no failsafe environment for Omnios.
>2. The situation made it clear to me that a failsafe environment is a
>required tool to maintain an Illumos installation. With the above
>finding assumed correct, we depend on a separate distro project to keep
>
>pace - outdated Firefly images may be useless in the best case.
>3. Are there alternatives, i.e. to make a failsafe environment for the
>specific machine, in case of doubt including additional drivers, on
>current ZFS versions, etc, as a sysadmin?
>
>BR,
>
>Sebastian

The best I came up with, was copying the failsafe image, mounting as an FS, putting in new versions of kernel and driver files from the running system, and packaging that back. Details in my comments on Alex's blog where he announced Firefly.

Yes, it is a rather perverse way, and a more straightforward, maintained (e.g. what if other drivers become needed?) and automated one would be welcome ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android