[OmniOS-discuss] failure to mount all zfs volumes

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 02:23:34 UTC 2015

This has happened to me on several occasions so I assume it must have
happened to others.

During boot, one or more zfs filesystems cannot be mounted, for
whatever reason, including something as trivial as the mountpoint not
being empty.

When this happens, dependent services and in particular sshd are not
started.  Thus, on a headless box, the problem cannot even be diagnosed.

The last time this happened to me, it was because two filesystems were
both mounted on /home.

As this is a polite mailing list I won't say what I really think of
this, but frankly it is nonsense of the sort one expects to come out of
Redmond, not from a serious server operating system.

It seems to me that zfs mounting services should be split between
'system' and 'user' at the very least, and as many services as possible
dependent on 'zfs-local-system', OR services should be dependent on the
existence of needed configuration files only;  e.g., /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Input ?

Michael.