[OmniOS-discuss] ipadm failing after first zone boot

Heinz Nikolaus Gies heinz at licenser.net
Wed Jun 10 17:46:10 UTC 2015

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 14:36, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 6, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Heinz Nikolaus Gies <heinz at licenser.net> wrote:
>>
>> I noticed some rather odd behavior, to set up networking I use the following commands:
>>
>> [GZ] dladm create-vnic -l bge0 net4 -p allowed-ips=10.0.0.111/32
>> (do zone creation wait until svc has reached svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default)
>
> I'm assuming you've done a zone boot at this point as well?  (You don't say it, but "reached milestone/sysconfig" suggests you have.)
Yup zone boot was done, and I waited till the last milestone was reached (I forgot that before ;)

>> [NGZ] ipadm create-if net4
>> [NGZ] ipadm create-addr -T static  -a 10.0.0.111/24 net4/v4
>> ipadm: Could not create address: Operation not permitted on from-gz interface
>
> That *is* really weird.  I'm assuming you can reproduce this bug?
In 100% of the tests I’ve had done yes, if it were a one time thing I’d have just doubted myself and wrote it off as me probably having forgotten something.

> Also, have you tried just doing the create-addr w/o the create-if?  I'm pretty sure you can shortcut, and perhaps it works around the not-permitted problem?
That I have not tried but I’ll give it a try, my work around right now is actually doing a full re-boot of the zone so it’s not too huge of a problem, but it looked like a bug