[OmniOS-discuss] CPU advice

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jun 8 19:07:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> I have these 3 CPU's in consideration:
> 1) Pentium G3450T
> 2) Core i3 I3-4130T
> 3) Xeon E3-1220V3
>
> Taking the price tag and power consumption into consideration what
> would be the optimal choice?

Choose one which lists support for ECC.  You need to check Intel's
product page on each to make sure that the CPU also supports ECC.
Chips with 'Xeon' in the name are usually the server-centric models,
with more memory bandwidth.

> What performance can I expect from the above listed CPU's?

For zfs, the CPU itself is rarely the bottleneck for performance.
Spend your money on more RAM.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn