[OmniOS-discuss] kvm networking

Graham Stephens graham at thestephensdomain.com
Tue Jun 9 20:49:41 UTC 2015

This must have been done millions of times already, but as a newbie I'm
having great difficulty getting a kvm guest inside a zone to network
properly. It seems to me that I've tried every combination of configs I
can think of (except one, no doubt ;) ) but can't get anything outside
the zone to talk to the guest, with the exception of vnc and ssh (which
I presume must be built into the kvm mechanism?).

To the best of my knowledge (which isn't that much in this case), I've
tried "-net user", "-net tap", "-redir", "hostfwd" in addition to the
"-net nic" as shown on the wiki.
Linux help pages suggest it should be done by bridging, but
"create-bridge" won't let me use the visible vnic as a link.

After two days of head-scratching I've decided I need assistance; if
anyone can please point me at a working methodology I'd appreciate it.
Be warned though I might need it spelling out :)