[OmniOS-discuss] bug in powertop

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:24:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 17:04:20 +0100
> Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Delete that line in powertop.c and all should be well.

FYI, I've looged illumos bug #6003

https://www.illumos.org/issues/6003

> Do I need to build the entire illumos-gate to recompile powertop?

No. It can often be awkward to build individual tools, but as this is
a too that started out life elsewhere it's pretty easy. You don't even
need to pull the whole of the gate.

svn co https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/trunk/usr/src/cmd/powertop
cd powertop/common
[edit powertop.c]
gcc -m64 -c *.c ../amd64/pt_amd64.c
gcc -m64 -o powertop *.o -ldtrace -lkstat -lcurses

> (I get the following as well:
> > powertop: failed to compile P-states (frequencies) program
> > powertop: failed to compile C-states (idle power) program
> > so I'm not sure it's actually functional.)
> >
> You need to run powertop either as root or using sudo.

That's not it. Run it without adequate privileges and it will explicitly
tell you so. Tracing this a little further (this isn't on an omnios box,
by the way, but powertop *should* be the same) and attempting to
run the dtrace it creates by hand, I get.

"/usr/lib/dtrace/scsi.d", line 46: translator member ic_cdb definition uses
incompatible types: "uint8_t *" = "user_desc_t"

At which point I gave up, because (a) I don't understand dtrace well
enough, and (b) the types used in the code look fine to me, and (c)
other than the fact that it fails to compile, whether this is actually the
compilation failure being reported by powertop is anyone's guess.

--
-Peter Tribble