[OmniOS-discuss] kvm networking

graham at thestephensdomain.com graham at thestephensdomain.com
Tue Jun 9 22:27:09 UTC 2015

Quoting "Dominik Hassler" <hasslerd at gmx.li>:

> you need a dedicated vnic for the kvm. I assume you have one vnic
> and use that one for the zone so it is not exclusive for the kvm
> guest anymore and won't work to my knowledge. You can always bind
> VNC to a unix socket so you don't acutally need a vnic for the zone
> (except that one which is used by the zone but most not be
> configured within the zone at all).

I found that if the vnic has an address for the zone, vnc works but
the network access from the guest is sporadic at best. I tried with no
address on the vnic, which means vnc doesn't work - but in my case
that's not a problem as it's for an email server - and yes, outgoing
connections work great, so it is probably how it should be. I can't
talk to the email server from outside the zone, though. I don't know
how I can pass the vnic to the zone without it being 'aware', unless
you can add it as a device instead of a network interface?

> Did you have a look at https://github.com/hadfl/kvmadm ? It'll do
> all the necessary setup for you for running kvms within zones.

I'll have to take a look at that, thanks.