[OmniOS-discuss] Adding a disk array after boot

Graham Stephens graham at thestephensdomain.com
Sat Jun 13 12:54:03 UTC 2015

Perhaps another dumb question, but here goes...

I currently have a FC disk array attached to a server acting, among
other things, as a Samba file server. I don't need the files serving all
the time, so mainly start the machine (it is normally off overnight due
to the noise) without the disk array turned on unless I know I will need
the files in advance. ZFS doesn't seem to mind as long as the disks are
attached/not attached at boot, and I don't try turning the array on
while the server is running.

I am moving several boxes into one quieter zoned box that I would like
to have on 24/7, and the Samba server is intended to go into one of
those zones. I will eventually swap the external array over to internal
disks, but it isn't going to happen straight away; so what I would like
to ask is:
Is there a way for me to be able to turn the disk array on and off as
necessary (it will become the noisy part of the setup), without me
having to reboot the main box (with all the zones, etc) every time?