[OmniOS-discuss] Adding a disk array after boot

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Sat Jun 13 14:01:25 UTC 2015

Am 13.06.15 um 14:54 schrieb Graham Stephens:
> Perhaps another dumb question, but here goes...
>
> I currently have a FC disk array attached to a server acting, among
> other things, as a Samba file server. I don't need the files serving
> all the time, so mainly start the machine (it is normally off
> overnight due to the noise) without the disk array turned on unless I
> know I will need the files in advance. ZFS doesn't seem to mind as
> long as the disks are attached/not attached at boot, and I don't try
> turning the array on while the server is running.
>
> I am moving several boxes into one quieter zoned box that I would like
> to have on 24/7, and the Samba server is intended to go into one of
> those zones. I will eventually swap the external array over to
> internal disks, but it isn't going to happen straight away; so what I
> would like to ask is:
> Is there a way for me to be able to turn the disk array on and off as
> necessary (it will become the noisy part of the setup), without me
> having to reboot the main box (with all the zones, etc) every time?

Each FC equipment I know of will issue a FC reset upon booting and
OmniOS will pick that up. However, there is of course also a means of
having the OmniOS box perform a FC reset on the bus which would also
spurr a disk discovery, after which ZFS will happily import your
formerly exportet(!) zpool without fuss.

Cheers