[OmniOS-discuss] Adding a disk array after boot

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Mon Jun 15 07:27:40 UTC 2015

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Graham Stephens <graham at thestephensdomain.com> wrote:
>
> On 13/06/2015 15:01, Stephan Budach wrote:
>> Am 13.06.15 um 14:54 schrieb Graham Stephens:
>>> Perhaps another dumb question, but here goes...
>>>
>>> I currently have a FC disk array attached to a server acting, among
>>> other things, as a Samba file server. I don't need the files serving
>>> all the time, so mainly start the machine (it is normally off
>>> overnight due to the noise) without the disk array turned on unless I
>>> know I will need the files in advance. ZFS doesn't seem to mind as
>>> long as the disks are attached/not attached at boot, and I don't try
>>> turning the array on while the server is running.
>>>
>>> I am moving several boxes into one quieter zoned box that I would like
>>> to have on 24/7, and the Samba server is intended to go into one of
>>> those zones. I will eventually swap the external array over to
>>> internal disks, but it isn't going to happen straight away; so what I
>>> would like to ask is:
>>> Is there a way for me to be able to turn the disk array on and off as
>>> necessary (it will become the noisy part of the setup), without me
>>> having to reboot the main box (with all the zones, etc) every time?
>>
>> Each FC equipment I know of will issue a FC reset upon booting and
>> OmniOS will pick that up. However, there is of course also a means of
>> having the OmniOS box perform a FC reset on the bus which would also
>> spurr a disk discovery, after which ZFS will happily import your
>> formerly exportet(!) zpool without fuss.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Ah! I hadn't thought to export the zpools first. If that's all I need to do then I'll be a very happy chap!

Yes, do make sure that the zpools are first exported (which implies an unmount of its constituent filesystems) so that the disks are properly quiesced.

In FC-land and on the device level, there are a few old commands you can issue to get the view of things once you unplug your array, or plug it back in:

# view configured FC drives and controllers
cfgadm -al

# force a re-probe of a specific (FC) controller on the driver level
cfgadm -c configure <controller, eg: c3>

# clean up no-longer present disk device links under /dev and /devices
devfsadm -Cv disks

# forcibly re-create them if for some reason they aren’t around
devfsadm -v disks

# if (a) drive(s) fails to show up on a known controller, send the whole thing a LIP (Loop Init Protocol) command
fcinfo force-lip <controller port WWN>   (the old old OLD solaris command to do this was/is luxadm -e forecelip)

/dale