[OmniOS-discuss] DFS Replication with CIFS shares

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 20:59:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Lawrence Giam <paladinemishakal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Can you explain more on this? You share out the zVols via iSCSI to the
> Windows machine, so on the windows machine, you attach that zVols as a disk?
>
> But in my situation, I have alot of smb shares serve from the NAS and
> doing it your way, would I be then face with drive letter limitation?
>
> Regards.

I would create one or 2 large zVols, share them via iSCSI to your Windows
machines.  Then I'd format those as NTFS.  You can then create folders in
those disk LUNs.  Create something like this:

D:\shares\share1
D:\shares\share2
D:\shares\etc
E:\shares\share3
etc

Then, CIFS share each one of the "shareX" folders.  You can then tell DFS
which shares on your server to use for a DFS namespace:

\\server\share1
\\server\share2
\\server\share3

Point DFS at those CIFS shares.