[OmniOS-discuss] Schedule for a new kernel update on OmniOS r151014?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Jun 29 15:30:54 UTC 2015

> On Jun 29, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
>
> According to the OmniOS source repository's changelogs, there's a
> fix in the r151014 branch that we're quite interested in:
> 	3783 Flow control is needed in rpcmod when the NFS server is
> 	unable to keep up with the network

It has not been pushed out yet to the repo servers.

> (The wiki is confusing on this. On the one hand the
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/ReleaseNotes/r151014 page says that
> the April 20th update brings the system up to illumos-omnios branch
> r151014 at 2cac697.

I fubar'ed the revision, and have now fixed that on the wiki.  My fault.

> So: does anyone know when the next OmniOS kernel update is likely
> to be released? Is there a schedule for this (vague or otherwise)?
> Am I just looking in the wrong place to spot an available update?

The wiki fubar caused the confusion - I'm very sorry about that.

There is no set schedule for updates to existing OmniOS releases.  I've held back releasing a reboot-your-box update to LTS because, well, it's a reboot-your-box event for a lot of people.  I know how important THIS fix is to you, Chris.

There's an NTP update going out very soon (once 4.2.8p3 happens), and since that will be disruptive enough, I don't want to add a reboot-your-box event to that this week.

There is also an additional kernel fix that I'd like to include alongside the rpcmod fix (illumos 4051).  Because kernel component changes can be tricky (and sometimes leave out missing components that are affected), I would like the next reboot-the-box update to be a full rebuild of illumos-omnios.  It would include both the rpcmod fix, AND the additional kernel fix that Chip has been testing.  Chip has found additional problems, but they were pre-existing, so an

Hope this helps,