[OmniOS-discuss] Update BIND to 9.10.3-P3?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Feb 5 20:06:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016, Dan McDonald wrote:

> In the early days of OmniOS, people decided that most built their own version of named, and so it got moved out following the KYSTY principle.
>
> Given you can get bind/named from any other number of sources
> (pkgsrc, ms.omniti.com, sfe, more), I'm not inclined to increase the
> base's support burden.

Many/most of these sources may not work properly or as well due to
being built against some OmniOS release which does not match the
OmniOS release the user is using.  The end result is duplicate
installed software or conflicting packages.  These sources also do not
necessarily issue new versions when there is a new release, or
security fix, or provide notifications thereof.

It would be good to add a list of common services that OmniOS does not
include to the OmniOS web page.  Otherwise the naive new user may
start with the expectation that basic servers like Apache and BIND are
included because every other server OS provides these.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn