[OmniOS-discuss] Zones Backup

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 14 16:36:04 UTC 2016

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Michael Mounteney wrote:

> This does require the discipline to record your changes in your setup
> script, but the benefit is that your zones are entirely recreatable and
> don't have to be backed-up.
>
> It seems long-winded but I reckon it's a lot quicker and tidier to apply
> a customisation script to a fresh installation than it is to splice-in
> stuff from /etc etc. from a back-up.
>
> If you go for this, you will probably have to set up a parallel set of
> zones as you develop your customisation script, to compare new with old
> until your script is complete.

This seems like a good plan to me.  Approaches which result in a
"carbon copy" of a zone don't work so well when the "carbon copy" is
not a good match for the host system when it is restored.

A backup approach which also serves as documentation for later about
what was changed is very useful.

It does seem like IPS should be able to produce the list of files
provided by the OS, as well as any files which were subsequently
changed, since it already knows how to not overwrite files which were
changed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn