[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: How to do networking between host and KVM guest?

Gordon Selisek gordon at hafnia.dk
Mon Feb 15 14:29:10 UTC 2016

Dominik,

Thanks, but, no i can't even ping by hostname or ip.

netstat -rn -finet

Routing Table: IPv4

  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref     Use     Interface

-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------

default              192.168.200.1        UG        2          1 e1000g0

127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1            UH        2          0 lo0

192.168.200.0        192.168.200.190      U         8     108532 e1000g0

I read here that "By default, networking between the control domain and other domains in the system is disabled."

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19608-01/html/821-1485/enablenetworkbtwncsdomainandotherdomains.html

And here you need to do some etherstub plumbing with ifconfig, whcich i don't believe omniOS can do.

---- On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:12:10 +0100 Dominik Hassler <hasslerd at gmx.li>wrote ----

there is no need for an etherstub for your setup.

I am running the same setup as you mentioned for several kvms (GZ and NGZ) in your first e-mail and no issues from guest to {host, outside} or from host {guest, outside}.

you shold not assign an address to the vnic that will be used by the kvm.

can you ping your guest from the host (hostname and/or IP)? might be a hostname resulution problem.