[OmniOS-discuss] Testing RSF-1 with zpool/nfs HA

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Thu Feb 18 06:13:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have been test driving RSF-1 for the last week to accomplish the
following:

- cluster a zpool, that is made up from 8 mirrored vdevs, which are
based on 8 x 2 SSD mirrors via iSCSI from another OmniOS box
- export a nfs share from above zpool via a vip
- have RSF-1 provide the fail-over and vip-moving
- use the nfs share as a repository for my Oracle VM guests and vdisks

The setup seems to work fine, but I do have one issue, I can't seem to
get solved. Whenever I failover the zpool, any inflight nfs data, will
be stalled for some unpredictable time. Sometimes it takes not much
longer than the "move" time of the resources but sometimes it takes up
to 5 mins. until the nfs client on my VM server becomes alive again.

So, when I issue a simple ls -l on the folder of the vdisks, while the
switchover is happening, the command somtimes comcludes in 18 to 20
seconds, but sometime ls will just sit there for minutes.

I wonder, if there's anything, I could do about that. I have already
played with several timeouts, nfs wise and tcp wise, but nothing seem to
yield any effect on this issue. Anyone, who knows some tricks to speed
up the inflight data?

Thanks,
Stephan