[OmniOS-discuss] Extending the installer

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Feb 26 20:17:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> 1) Extend the current installer
> 2) Start a GUI after first boot provided that the system contains known
> nics (Ethernet).

This is OmniOS so it is not possible to have a GUI.  Given the
existing many automated means that OmniOS is installed (which might
also provide the configuration), it is not reasonable to automatically
start something up, however, a useful message could be displayed after
login on console (if no networking has been configured) which suggests
to run a particular program.

> I personally favor option 2 since changes in the installer requires
> upstream support from Illumos while option 2 can be an Omnios thing.
>
> What do you all think about this suggestion?

It seems useful.  It could be implemented via a Python script.

Networking can be very complicated (or simple).  What network
configuration features would be supported?  I think that the network
features described on the OmniOS admin page would be a good start.

What would your plan be for OmniOS zones, which are in many ways the
same/similar to a full OmniOS install?

Would you plan to include simple NTP configuration as well?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn