[OmniOS-discuss] Extending the installer

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Fri Feb 26 21:14:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:17:59 -0600 (CST)
Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> This is OmniOS so it is not possible to have a GUI.  Given the existing many automated means that OmniOS is installed (which might also provide the configuration), it is not reasonable to automatically start something up, however, a useful message could be displayed after login on console (if no networking has been configured) which suggests to run a particular program.

By GUI is was referring to something like the "GUI" in the installer -
ncurses or something similar.

> It seems useful.  It could be implemented via a Python script.

Python or Perl. Are bindings present in Omnios to ncurses, newt or
something similar?

> Networking can be very complicated (or simple).  What network configuration features would be supported?  I think that the network features described on the OmniOS admin page would be a good start.

Exactly. Support configuring a single nic, either static or via dhcp.
Configure a working DNS.

> What would your plan be for OmniOS zones, which are in many ways the same/similar to a full OmniOS install?

If this is suppose to run after initial install then there should be no
conceptual difference in a zone - if nics is available you should be
able to run the nic configuration.

> Would you plan to include simple NTP configuration as well?

This should be possible.

Idea:
first screen: Configure nic and DNS or skip
second screen: Configure ntp or skip

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
I loathe people who keep dogs.  They are cowards who haven't got the
guts to bite people themselves.
		-- August Strindberg