[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151016 zone has difficulties shutting down

Jan Vlach janus at volny.cz
Mon Jan 4 20:29:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

you can setup ad-hoc override for ssh, so the escape would be sent to zlogin or you can send ~~. to send it to the "inner session". If you overdo it with the tildes, just press enter and try again with one less.

override the escape sequence for ssh (man ssh):
     -e escape_char
             Sets the escape character for sessions with a pty (default: ‘~’).
             The escape character is only recognized at the beginning of a
             line.  The escape character followed by a dot (‘.’) closes the
             connection; followed by control-Z suspends the connection; and
             followed by itself sends the escape character once.  Setting the
             character to “none” disables any escapes and makes the session
             fully transparent.

Jan

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 08:48:11AM -0500, Dan McDonald wrote:

> > On Dec 31, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> >
> > I am accessing the system via ssh which uses '~.' to terminate the ssh session.  This is also the default shutdown sequence for 'zlogin -C'. The idea is that after doing some initial administration using 'zlogin -C', the "~." sequence was used to quit it.  This terminates the ssh session rather than the zone console login.  While subsequent 'zlogin -C' works, it may be that the unclean/violent termination of the zone console login has left behind residue which prevents the zone from shutting down.
>
> Dumb questions:  which ssh client, and which ssh server?
>
> It's highly possible the process you have simply backgrounds once ssh quits.  Knowing which server + client combo may help... especially given that you now have OpenSSH doing a lot more in recent OmniOS updates.
>
> Dan

Be the change you want to see in the world.