[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS and OpenMP

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jan 6 14:51:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, Richard PALO wrote:

> Le 05/01/16 02:00, Paul B. Henson a écrit :
>> Ah, bloating the total package count vs bloating the default installed file system, decisions, decisions :).
>>
>> I think on this one I'd vote for a separate package.
>>

> I might suggest parity with the other packagers of it.. taking a look at oi-userland and solaris-userland
> both install it with the default c runtime libraries.  It *is* easier dealing with fewer packages for
> standard gcc runtime libraries... as to size, even the .a is way under a meg (uncompressed).
> Who doesn't compress their BE's?

This is a very good point.  I notice that OI and Solaris seem to try
to use the same package names.  SFE packages (and other packages) need
to list their dependencies, which may include gcc-5-runtime.  If
OmniOS provides different components in gcc-5-runtime from other
distributions then this serves as an additional hurdle to being able
to re-use existing package build configurations (which work for
OpenIndiana and Solaris) on OmniOS.

OmniOS currently suffers from a "package gap" caused by its reduced
server package offerings as compared with OpenIndiana, Solaris 10,
Solaris 11, and Linux distributions.  There are a profusion of "shovel
ready" packages ready to be built once this gap is addressed.  OmniOS
does not need to (and should not) fill the gap, but it should not make
it more difficult for others to do so.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn