[OmniOS-discuss] Slow CIFS Writes when using Moca 2.0 Adapter

Mini Trader miniflowtrader at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 03:04:30 UTC 2016

Slow CIFS Writes when using Moca 2.0 Adapter.

I am experiencing this only under OmniOS.  I do not see this in Windows or
Linux.

I have a ZFS CIFS share setup which can easily do writes that would
saturate a 1GBe connection.

My problem appears to be related somehow to the interaction between OmniOS
and ECB6200 Moca 2.0 adapters.

1. If I write to my OmniOS CIFS share using ethernet my speeds up/down are
around 110 mb/sec - good

2. If I write to my share using the same source but over the adapter my
speeds are around 35mb/sec - problem

3. If I read from the share using the same device over the adapter my
speeds are around 110mb/sec - good

4. If I setup a share on a Windows machine and write to it from the same
source using the  adapter the speeds are around 110mb/sec.  The Windows
machine is actually a VM whos disks are backed by a ZFS NFS share on the
same machine

So basically the issue only takes place when writing to the OmniOS CIFS
share using the adapter, if the adapter is not used than the write speed is
perfect.

Any ideas why/how a Moca 2.0 adapter which is just designed to convert an
ethernet  signal to a coax and back to ethernet  would cause issues with
writes on OmniOS when the exact same share has no issues when using an
actual ethernet connection?  More importantly, why is this happening with
OmniOS CIFS and not anything else?

I appreciate any help.