[OmniOS-discuss] Slow CIFS Writes when using Moca 2.0 Adapter

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Jan 29 20:09:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016, Guenther Alka wrote:

> With the default mtu 1500 you can max out 1G networks but on 10G you are
> limited to about 300-400 MB/s.
> With mtu 9000 that is supported on all of my switches and computers the SMB2
> limit is near the limit of 10G

Since this topic started about Moca 2.0, its worth mentioning that
this consumer-grade networking technology might not adequately
support large MTUs.  A particular Moca 2.0 device might support large
MTUs, but this is likely atypical.

Hardware that I am working with does support a somewhat elevated MTU
(e.g. 2k) with Moca 2.0 but that is because we wrote code to support
it and tested it between two units of our hardware.  With limited
interoperability testing, we have not encountered other Moca 2.0
hardware which supports MTU over 1500 bytes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn