[OmniOS-discuss] [developer] Introducing io-lx -- an attempt to port LX Zones to OmniOS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 8 06:37:09 UTC 2016

8 марта 2016 г. 3:47:10 CET, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> пишет:
>Hello!
>
>700+ cherrypicked commits later, and at least I haven't obviously
>regressed lipkg/ipkg zones.  :)
>
>This github repo:
>
>	https://github.com/danmcd/io-lx-public/
>
>is the beginning of my attempt to port LX zones over to OmniOS.  I KNOW
>there's a lot more work to be done, but I wanted to make sure this repo
>is viewable by the public so:
>
>1.) People know about it.
>
>2.) People who are interested in helping can do so.
>
>3.) People can laugh at all of the mismerges and other flub-ups I'm
>sure I haven't caught yet.  :)
>
>4.) I will be context-switching to OmniOS r151018 ramp-up very soon,
>and want to checkpoint state.
>
>I've Bcc:ed the SmartOS (home of LX zones) and the illumos (where I
>hope this work can be upstreamed at some point) lists.  Discussion on
>io-lx (Illumos-OmniOS-LX) should take place either on github or on the
>OmniOS mailing list.
>
>So far:
>
>- I've sidepulled 700+ commits, ending with illumos-joyent's
>8443e038ef8eb3ca6a95818d6e90b2a1eb4e9cb6.  There are some more
>illumos-joyent commits I'll need to bring over, but my cherrypicking
>script and setups are primed & tested, so I *should* be able to make
>short work of it.
>
>- I've smoke-tested a global-only OmniOS boot, and a single-lipkg zone
>OmniOS boot.  After some mismerge-related consternation, I booted the
>lipkg zone as well.  A rudimentary ppriv(1) comparison between root
>shells in global and lipkg zones was part of the smoke test.
>
>- Any files I didn't know where they went I put into the "brand/lx"
>package.  The inotify feature, for example, is in there, and perhaps it
>shouldn't be.
>
>- If you ONU to io-lx, note that to install brand/lx, you will need to
>UNINSTALL the "illumos-gate" consolidation package first.  I don't have
>changes in omnios-build or any of the other repos (like pkg5) yet.  I
>hope to avoid outside-illumos changes until it's time to figure out the
>admin model.
>
>After I'm comfortable with no ipkg/lipkg regressions, I will need to
>spend some design time figuring out how LX zones will look on OmniOS.
>I will not be porting vmadm(1M) over from SmartOS, so I need to think
>about how LX will fit in with traditional zone tools.  I may discover
>other problems, but until I start the '018 process, and immediately
>after '018 ships, I will need to ensure no ipkg/lipkg regressions first
>and foremost.
>
>It's not much, but it's a start.
>
>Thanks for your time & patience,
>Dan

Cool! Will this include modernized linux distro support?

As for the admin model... I tinkered with original lx24 guest zones back in the day, and it looked similar to usual solaris zones in terms of experience, except the console bootup reported some services as missing or disabled. Do you expect to produce something very different nowadays?

Thanks for the effort,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android