[OmniOS-discuss] [developer] Introducing io-lx -- an attempt to port LX Zones to OmniOS

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue Mar 8 06:54:15 UTC 2016

On 7 March 2016 at 22:37, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
> Cool! Will this include modernized linux distro support?

At Joyent, we have pre-built zone images (which we ship as "zfs send"
streams) for at least Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04, Centos 6 and 7, Debian 7
and 8, and Alpine 3.  You could arguably distribute the same files in
a tar archive which you would extract into a zone root.  From what I
remember of the old days, a seed archive was the way to bootstrap an
LX zone.

The LX brand software has been substantially enhanced since the Sun
EOL of the 2.4-era bits; e.g., support for modern system calls and
other Linux facilities, 64-bit support, etc.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer