[OmniOS-discuss] recovering deleted files from ZFS?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Mar 14 18:12:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, CJ Keist wrote:

> All,
>   Thought I try asking this question on this forum.  In light of no
> snapshots, is there a way in ZFS to recover a recently deleted file?  We do
> nightly backups, but this would be a file that was deleted before the coming
> daily backup.  Does anyone know if there is a service that can do file
> recoveries from ZFS?

Hopefully this is not for a problem which has already occured. A
solution would be to do zfs filesystem snapshots whenever important
data has changed or at a high enough frequency that the probability of
loss before backup is marginalized.  Otherwise there is no assurance
that the deleted data remains.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn