[OmniOS-discuss] header/library mismatch

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Fri Mar 18 15:12:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 15:40:44 +0000, Peter Tribble wrote:
> Currently having a minor issue building software.
>
> As mentioned yesterday, I'm building on a slightly older image, so that I
> know that any binaries I generate will run on all systems (which are newer).
>
> The snag is that the install media doesn't have the headers. And if I
>
> pkg install system/header
>
> then it installs the latest version in the repo. It doesn't look like there
> are any versioned constraints to tie the version of the header package
> to the installed libraries.

I think it'd be fair to include a dependency in
pkg:/system/library restrict which combo of headers & libc can be installed.
E.g., something like:

	depend type=incorporate fmri=pkg:/system/header at 0.5.11-0.151016:2016...

Dan & other IPS gurus: any thoughts about this?

Jeff.

> Specifically, the glob fix #6409 causes problems. Because I end up with
> a set of headers that have the fix and a copy of libc that doesn't. But I'm
> sure there might be other things lurking.
>
> My workaround is to manually look at the versions of system/library and
> specify
> the matching version of system/header to install by hand. Is there a better
> way?
>
> This isn't helped by the way that pkg(5) goes and does an update if you
> utter
> 'pkg install', rather than just saying 'oh, you're already installed, we're
> done'.
> At least with the header package I can uninstall it and put the correct one
> back, with some other packages I have to roll the system back.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts!
>
> --
> -Peter Tribble
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/ - http://ptribble.blogspot.com/

Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)