[OmniOS-discuss] supermicro 3U all-in one storage system

Matej Žerovnik matej at zunaj.si
Sat Mar 19 11:21:21 UTC 2016

Hey there,

I’m just about to expand my SAN with LSI 3008 HBA. As far as I know, support for 3008 has been in Illumos for about a year if not more, so it should be stable. I did have problems with getting sas3ircu and sas3flash utils from LSI page working, but in the end, I had to get an older version (5.00) for it to work (I got it from nexenta github repo).

As far as HDD goes, I’m currently running around 100 Seagate SAS3 drives (ST4000NM0034) and none of them died in 4 months that I have them. I know it’s not a long era, but so far so good:) I also have around 180 Seagate Constellation 4TB SATA drives (ST4000NM0033) for over 3 years and only one or two drives died.

Matej