[OmniOS-discuss] ALL CLEAR (was Re: illumos-omnios is toxic at the moment)

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Mar 28 18:46:07 UTC 2016

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:
>
> Expect an all-clear in 30 mins or less.

For the first time in my life, I had to use "-f" for "git push".  I hope I never have to do it again.

I broke illumos-gate upstream by pushing in a merge commit, which is verboten.  illumos-gate was fixed by Josh Clulow, and that's all sorted out.

I compounded my error, however, by:

1.) Pulling that into the "upstream" branch of illumos-omnios (which is a copy of illumos-gate)

2.) MERGING the toxic upstream into master, making master toxic as well.

NOTE:  No other branches were corrupted during this time.

So what I had to do was:

1.) Reset "upstream" to the now-cleaned illumos-gate.

2.) Reset "master" to a commit before this screw-up.

3.) "git push -f" these two branches to both upstream illumos-omnios repos (github and src.omniti.com).

I've done all of the above three, and now illumos-omnios is back to normal.

If you have a downstream of illumos-omnios, and did a "git pull" between 1:44pm US/Eastern and now, you may need to reset your local repository.  Ask here if you need help with that.

If you did not "git pull" in that window, you're in good shape, and can proceed as normal.  ALSO, if you only had changes to branches not "upstream" or "master", you are also in good shape regardless (but please do a "git pull" now).

Thanks, and sorry for the distruption,