[OmniOS-discuss] Moving from Postgres/Solaris/x86_64 to Postgres/OmniOS/x86_64 - gotchas?

Dave Pooser dave-oo at pooserville.com
Tue Mar 29 22:30:58 UTC 2016

$DAYJOB is currently running our core database on Postgres/Solaris. We're
considering moving to OmniOS for a few reasons: partly the cost of support
(since I have to pay for Solaris support on my dev/test machines, where
with Omni I'd only go paid on the production box), partly the move to open
ZFS (for better compatibility with ZFS on our Linux and Mac boxes), partly
because Dan appears to be less evil than Larry. ;-)

1) Any gotchas running Postgres on OmniOS? I'm currently building from
source on the Solaris servers, so I'm not particularly concerned about
prepackaged options, but if there's some weird incompatibility I'd like to
know ahead of time
2) I know Puppet isn't supported on OmniOS, but is there anybody out there
using it and having it work for them? I imagine I might have to manually
define some providers, but aside from that....

Thanks in advance for any experiences.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com