[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Continuing zone shutdown issues with r151016

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Mar 30 19:07:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016, Dan McDonald wrote:

>> Inside the zone everything is happy.
>
> This isn't something that happens reproducibly, is it?  I'm dinking
> with one of my r151016 zones, uttering "zoneadm -z <zone> shutdown"
> and subsequently booting without any hangs.  Do you have a sure-fire
> way to make "zoneadm -z <zone> shutdown" happen?

It seems to happen perhaps 20-25 percent of the time and after it
happens the zone is "infected" until system reboot.

If it matters, I am using lightly-loaded 8-core, 16-thread Xeon-D
hardware.

Interestingly, I just noticed that my most recent effort (cribbed from
OmniOS system upgrade admin notes) did this:

   for zone in base pkgbuild ftp www src smtp
   do
     zlogin $zone shutdown -i5 -g0 -y
   done

rather than this

   for zone in base pkgbuild ftp www src smtp
   do
     zoneadm -z $zone shutdown
   done

Normally I would use 'zoneadm' to do the shutdown.  However, I am
pretty sure that the former (based on 'zlogin') encountered the same
problem.  If so, that is very interesting.

In the shutdown loop, two of the zones encountered the problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn