[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Continuing zone shutdown issues with r151016

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Mar 31 05:06:23 UTC 2016

30 марта 2016 г. 21:16:15 CEST, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> пишет:

>> On Mar 30, 2016, at 3:07 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
><bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>>
>> Normally I would use 'zoneadm' to do the shutdown.  However, I am
>pretty sure that the former (based on 'zlogin') encountered the same
>problem.  If so, that is very interesting.
>
>On a zone lock, we need to see a couple of things (from root at global):
>
>- pgrep -z <zonename>
>
>- pgrep -f <zonename>  (Should only produce the zoneadmd process.)
>
>IF AND ONLY IF THOSE TWO ABOVE consistently produce process lists (you
>cannot run the following w/o a nonzero process list, otherwise it
>defaults to ALL the processes):
>
>- ptree `pgrep -z <zonename>; pgrep -f <zonename>`
>
>- pstack `pgrep -z <zonename>; pgrep -f <zonename>`  (NOTE:  This may
>spew a lot if you have a lot of processes.)
>
>Something's stopping zoneadmd from halting, and the process stacks may
>help us figure it out.
>
>Dan

This is reminiscent of what I saw in other solarish systems, maybe even sol10 and sxce although quite rare (once in hundreds of times). There a zoneadmd would lock up and not die until kill'ed, so blocking zone reboots from outside or within.

On newer illumos setups that manage a comples zfs zoneroot hierarchy, this often seemed linked with some process (e.g. a shell or midnight commander or updatedb scans, nowadays maybe pkg integration between gz and lz can play a role? etc.) running from global zone (unkillable by lz shutdown) and having as current a directory from the local zone namespace - thus blocking its unmount. Killing such process or going into another dir allowed zoneadmd teardown to proceed.

Alas, this description and method do not quite apply to sol10/sxce that have simpler gz-provided zoneroots, so there may be more sinister beasts of the old lurking in the deep ;)

Hope these memories help,
Jim Klimov
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android