[OmniOS-discuss] Error when trying to install OmniOS r018 on new SM X100DRi-T4+

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Fri May 27 15:02:39 UTC 2016

> On May 27, 2016, at 9:40 AM, Stephan Budach <stephan.budach at JVM.DE> wrote:
>
> Am 27.05.16 um 15:18 schrieb Stephan Budach:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried to install OmniOS r018 onto a new SuperMicro server and when the install kernel starts up, I am getting this panic:
>>
>> cpu1: featureset
>> WARNING: cpu1 feature mismatch
>>
>> panic[cpu1/thread=fffff00f4920c40: unsupported mixed cpu monitor/nwait support
>> detected
>>
>> The the hosts reboots…
>>
>> Does anyone has an idead, if this issue is to be overcome by setting something in the BIOS?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephan
> Weird… please ignore this… the box came with some non-standard BIOS settings. After hitting "Reset to optimized default" the box boots up r018 just fine.
> Weird, since this is how the box has been delivered to me…

I've seen a few cases of SM boxes across a few different CPU generations having issues with the BIOS defaults from the factory, especially when it comes to ACPI tables it creates... and a reset-to-defaults usually corrects the problem. I have no idea why their BIOS does this sometimes, being that it's a black box... but now I just automatically reset the BIOS on new servers if I ever run in to odd ACPI-related issues like this one on first boot.

/dale