[OmniOS-discuss] Missing /devices/pseudo/kvm* with Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3

Hanno Hirschberger hannohirschberger at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 2 08:25:45 UTC 2016

Hey guys!

I run OmniOS r151014 on a SuperMicro server with an Intel Xeon E3-1240
v3 CPU. We need kvm for a qemu-kvm machine but the kvm device is missing.

The symlink /dev/kvm is there but there's no /devices/pseudo/kvm at 0:kvm
where it's pointing. I enabled Intel VT-x on the mainboard. The kernel
module files are present but OmniOS is unable to load them ("file not
found" - obviously). So I'm stuck now and don't know how to analyze this
further. Please help me out!

Do you have any hints or encountered a similar problem? Is the processor
unsupported by any chance?

The mainboard is a Supermicro Server Board X10SLM-F. Let me know if you
need anything.

Best regards,

Hanno