[OmniOS-discuss] Missing /devices/pseudo/kvm* with Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Sep 2 14:06:02 UTC 2016

> On Sep 2, 2016, at 4:25 AM, Hanno Hirschberger <hannohirschberger at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys!
>
> I run OmniOS r151014 on a SuperMicro server with an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 CPU. We need kvm for a qemu-kvm machine but the kvm device is missing.

This has nothing to do with the processor.

> The symlink /dev/kvm is there but there's no /devices/pseudo/kvm at 0:kvm where it's pointing. I enabled Intel VT-x on the mainboard. The kernel module files are present but OmniOS is unable to load them ("file not found" - obviously). So I'm stuck now and don't know how to analyze this further. Please help me out!

Please do this:

	pkg list kvm

You should see two lines of output:

	r151014(~)[0]% pkg list kvm
	NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
	driver/virtualization/kvm                         1.0.5.11-0.151014          i--
	system/kvm                                        1.0.5.11-0.151014          i--
	r151014(~)[0]%

Are those packages missing?  If so, "pkg install" them both.

It's strange that they would be missing, however, given they're part of the "entire" consolidation.  If they are there in "pkg list", you may wish to "pkg verify driver/virtualization/kvm system/kvm" to make sure.